Moss thanks THS, city employees for successful graduation
By Barry H. Hendrix
The following items were addressed May 19 by the Thomasville City Board of Education at its monthly meeting in the Thomasville High School Library:
• Garth Moss, Thomasville school superintendent, thanked the administration and staff of Thomasville High School for their work on the 2020 Commencement Exercises May 17 at D.F. Anderson Field. He called the event “a huge success.” He expressed his appreciation to senior advisor Sherry Brewer, THS Principal Kyle Ferguson, THS counselor Tammy Brasell and the entire faculty.
“Within just a couple of days, we went from an inside ceremony to planning for an outside ceremony,” Moss said. “They did a tremendous job, making sure it was a safe environment for everybody that was there.”
Moss also lauded Matthew Sparks and the City of Thomasville Parks and Recreation Department and officers with the Thomasville Police Department for their help with the event. “We appreciate everybody pitching in on short notice,” he said.
• Avery Ford, chief school financial officer, reported that payroll for April 2020 totaled $749,945.61 and accounts payable totaled $168,834.49.
Moss was pleased that the Fiscal 2021 state education budget was not as “bare bones” as expected due to the economic downturn caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. The overall budget will see a $190 million increase over last year.
• Moss also reported that the Thomasville school system will receive approximately $250,860.00 in federal stimulus money.
• School board vice president Sharon Buford thanked the employees of the school system’s Central Office. “I appreciate all that you do,” she said. “Thank you for the hard work – since school was out, but not officially out. …You continued to get the job done, and the board would like to just say thank you.”
• The date of the next school board meeting will be changed from June 23 to June 16. The meeting will be at 6 p.m. in the THS Library. The meeting is open to the public.
• The following personnel actions were approved:
Lela Kristina Andrews, teacher/coach at THS, effective the end of the 2019-2020 school year;
(Non-Renewal of Contracts)
Superintendent hereby recommends that the employment of the following employees at Thomasville City Schools, be terminated effective at the end of the current (2019-2020) school/contract year.
Susan Drinkard, Intervention Teacher at Thomasville Elementary School;
Kimberly Harvell, Intervention Teacher at TES;
Ellen Hamilton, Intervention Teacher at TES;
Emily Harvell, teacher at THS;
Angie Moss, Gifted Teacher at TES/Thomasville Middle School;
Brooklyn Brewer, teacher at TES;
(Non-Renewals of Supplements)
Superintendent hereby recommends that the supplemental employment of 40 employees and five volunteers at Thomasville City Schools, be terminated effective at the end of the current (2019-2020) school year. The majority of the positions are normally reinstated for the next school year.
(Employment in Positions)
Emily Harvell, math teacher at TMS, effective the 2020-2021 school year. (rehire);
Crystal Thomas-Agee, Behavioral Counseling Interventionist, services rendered June through September 2020;
Karli Elmore, Special Education Teacher, TES, effective the 2020-2021 school year, pending certification;
(Transfers – voluntary)
Superintendent hereby recommends approval of voluntary transfers of the following employees at Thomasville City Schools, effective at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year.
Colleen Daniels, transfer from third grade teacher at TES, nine months to second grade Teacher, TES, nine months;
Tiffany Parrish, transfer from fourth grade teacher at TES, nine months to third grade teacher at TES, nine months;
Quentin Owes, transfer from custodian at THS, 12 months, to custodian at THS and TMS, 12 months;
Joyce Figgers, transfer from counselor at TES and THS, 10 months, to counselor, TMS, 10 months;
Joshua Andrews, transfer from teacher at THS, nine months to teacher at TMS, nine months;
James Howard, transfer from custodian at TES and THS, 12 months, to custodian at TMS, 12 months;
Rubye McKinley, transfer from special education teacher at THS, nine months to special education teacher at TMS, nine months;
Sharon James, transfer from instructional aide at TES, nine months, to clerical aide at TMS, 10 months;
Kimberly Ramsey, transfer from special education teacher at THS, nine months, to special education teacher at TMS, nine months;
LeAnn Moore, transfer from library media specialist at THS, nine months, to library media specialist at TMS, nine months;
(Employment in Temporary Summer Positions)
Temporary employment of the following individuals for assistance with custodial services, May 26, 2020 through July 31, 2020.