The Thomasville City Board of Education approved Oct. 27 a $3,084,175.00 contract with Trane for energy upgrades, pending financial approval.
The upgrades will include:
(at Thomasville High School) 35 new Trane AC systems, bipolar ionization and energy recovery ventilation;
(THS cafeteria) two package AC units and bipolar ionization;
(THS gym) one package AC unit and 2 mini splits AC systems for coach’s offices;
(TMS) four AC systems; (TES) two package AC units;
(Central Office) two AC systems and an AC unit for the IT server room.
There will also be fire protection and architectural upgrades for the high school from Global Fire Sprinklers, LLC.
Work on the energy upgrades will likely begin in January 2021.
In other action from the meeting, Avery Ford, Chief School Financial Officer (CSFO), gave the financial report for Aug. 2020. Payroll totaled $790,633.17, and accounts payable totaled $136,540.86.
• The following personnel actions were approved Oct. 27 by the Thomasville City Board of Education:
Latiesha Smith, Child Nutrition Program assistant at Thomasville Elementary School, effective Oct. 22;
(employment in positions)
Crystal Thomas-Agee, Behavioral Counseling Interventionist, services rendered Oct. 1, 2020, to Sept. 30, 2021;
Vanessa Coleman, Child Nutrition Program assistant at TES, effective Nov. 1, 2020, pending background check;
Philip Colquitt, special education teacher at Thomasville High School, effective for the 2020-2021 school year.
• Garth Moss, school superintendent, reported that after the first nine-week period of the 2020-2021 school year, approximately 77 percent of students in the school system are receiving instruction in the classroom.
• The board approved the Thomasville City School Textbook Committee for the 2020-2021 school year.
• The board approved the proposed 2020-2021 state adopted textbooks. Listing will be available in the spring.
• A revision was approved for board policy on “Students: Cheerleading – 5.82.”
• A revision to the 2020-2021 school calendar was approved to include an early release day for Oct. 28. The original early release date of Sept. 16 was omitted due to the close of schools in the wake of Hurricane Sally.
• An Audit Engagement Letter for 2020-2022 was approved for Richard, Harris, Ingram and Bozeman, P.C.
• A three-year contract for Avery Ford, CSFO, was approved effective Jan. 1, 2021 through Dec. 31, 2023.
• The school board approved the nomination and vote for Leslie Weaver-Martin as District 1 Director of the Alabama Association of School Boards (AASB).