The Thomasville City Schools District, along with many school systems in the country, is facing a shortage of available teachers and substitute teachers.
The Thomasville City Board of Education approved Nov. 16 a first reading of a change to age requirements for substitutes teaching in grades kindergarten to six. Substitute teachers would be changed to at least 19-years-old.
The substitute teacher age limit for grades seven to 12 will remain at 21-years-old.
In addition, various representatives from the school system are attending college job fairs to recruit teachers.
In other action from the Nov. 16 meeting, the financial statements were approved for September 2021. Payroll totaled $874,164.79, and accounts payable totaled $845,294.07.
• A financial audit of the system will be performed Dec. 13-17.
• A new sound system has been installed in the Thomasville Elementary School gym.
• The following personnel actions were approved Nov. 16:
(employment in position)
Denita Hankins, AMSTI Math Coach at Thomasville Elementary School, effective for the rest of the 2021-2022 school year;
Tanner Williams (board member Taylor Williams abstained in the vote).
• The board approved proposed 2021-2022 State Adopted Textbooks.
• An executive session regarding good name and character and a legal issue was held at the end of the meeting. No action was taken after the session.