Thomasville Elementary School has received a grant to allow more Pre-Kindergarten students in a third class for the 2022-2023 school year.
Approximately 16 to 18 slots will be available, Garth Moss, Thomasville city school superintendent, told the Thomasville Board of Education at the April 26 meeting. The grant comes from the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education.
Students, who were not picked in the recent Pre-K lottery at TES and are included in the overflow list, will receive first preference. Parents who are interested in having their child placed on the TES Pre-K list, should apply at https://prek.alaceed.alabama.gov.
In other action from the April 26 board meeting, Avery Ford, chief school financial officer (CSFO), gave the financial report for March 2022. The accounts payable totaled $725,899.07, and payroll totaled $883,633.08.
In a related matter, the board accepted the resignation of Ford as CSFO effective July 1, 2022. Sharon Buford, board member, said “it has been a pleasure for (Mr. Ford) working for the Thomasville school system. You have done an outstanding job. …We are going to dearly miss you.”
In other personnel matters, a leave request was approved for Wendy Norton, a teacher at TES, for an on-the-job injury.
• The school board created a Temporary Assistant Superintendent position for Garth Moss from July to December 2022.
• The following field trips were approved:
Out-of-state and overnight field trip for THS baseball team April 15 and 16 to Opelika, Ala. and Atlanta, Ga.
Overnight field trip for THS track team May 5-7 to AHSAA State Track Meet in Cullman.
Overnight field trip for THS softball team May 9-11 to AHSAA softball regionals in Montgomery.
• The board approved Amendment No. 1 to the Fiscal 2022 school budget (including carryover and ARPA homeless funds).
• The board went into executive session at the end of the meeting for a student hearing.
• The next meeting of the school board will be at 5 p.m. on Monday, May 23 in the Thomasville High School library (special day).