The Thomasville City Schools District has earned a B grade on the recently released state mandated Report Card from the Alabama Department of Education. The overall school system received an 87 score, while Thomasville High School received a 77; Thomasville Elementary School received an 85; and Thomasville Middle School received an 82. The scores represent the 2021-2022 school year.
Indicators for developing the scores include Academic Achievement, Academic Growth, Graduation Rate, Chronic Absenteeism and College and Career Readiness.
The school system has improved from a C grade in the last released report card from the 2018-2019 school year.
“I’m very excited,” said Vickie Morris, Thomasville City School Superintendent. The B score “is something to celebrate. However, you remember that I said at my (superintendent job) interview that we will be an ‘A’ district.
“We have lots of work to do. We have begun that work. The administrative team at the Central Office have met.” Administrative staffs from each school will soon meet in the Central Office, Morris said. “We are going to roll out a Strategic Plan for each school to we can get closer and closer to that ‘A.’” That plan will be presented at the March 2023 board meeting.
In action from the Nov. 29 meeting of the Thomasville City Board of Education, Anjelica Gibson, chief school financial officer, gave financial reports for September 2022 and October 2022.
For September, the payroll totaled $941,143.07, and the accounts payable totaled $2,050,079.76. For October, the payroll totaled $971,316.36, and accounts payable totaled $231,899.13.
• Thomas Jackson, state representative, recently gave the school system a $6,000 donation, Gibson reported. Portions of the donation went to the THS band, each school library, the basketball programs, the Child Nutrition Program, and other special needs.
• The board approved an overnight field trip for the THS Lady Tigers basketball team Nov. 21-22 to Orange Beach High School (retroactive).
• An overnight field trip was approved for the THS soccer team Feb. 10 and 11, 2023, to attend a tournament in Foley.
• The following personnel actions were approved:
Katie Ezell, Child Nutrition Program (CNP) Assistant at Thomasville Elementary School, resignation;
(employment in positions)
Melissa Murphy, Substitute Bus Driver;
Jessica Hallford, Mental Health Services Coordinator;
Lora Carson, voluntary transfer from CNP Assistant at Thomasville High School, nine months, to CNP Assistant at TES, nine months;
Katie Ezell, voluntary transfer from CNP Assistant at TES, nine months, to CNP Assistant at THS, nine months;
After school tutoring compensation will increase from $30-per-hour to $75-per-hour of instructional time and $30-per-half hour of planning time, beginning Oct. 1, 2022. (This rate of pay is contingent upon the availability of ESSER funds.)
Board member Tiffany Rogers-Shamburger abstained in the vote on personnel actions due to a family member being included.
• The next school board meeting will be held at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 13 in the THS library. The public is invited.